CERT Training Level Requirements
You may begin any of the courses at any level at any time. Provide coordinator with documentation as you complete training courses. Keep all certifications for your records. Level changes on ID cards will be made in November.
A member in good standing with current Level identification and has participated during the current calendar may be eligible to respond in a disaster upon activation by the City of Costa Mesa and/or representatives from law, fire or emergency management. No self deployment or activation is allowed.
Level 1 – Basic
- Basic 20 hour program
- Incident Command IS100b (Sept 13 version or newer) and NIMS IS700a (online courses – see enrollment information below). These Independent Study (IS) courses can be completed online.
- Attend 6 Costa Mesa CERT monthly meetings or the November refresher.
CERT ID card, helmet and vest will be provided at proof of completion
Level 2 – Intermediate
- CERT Level 1
- Completion of the free American Red Cross course: Shelter Fundamentals
- Completion of the free American Red Cross course: Shelter Simulations
- Completion of a certified CPR Course.
- Completion of a certified Basic First Aid Course.
These courses may be taken through the Red Cross (714)-481-5300 or www.oc-redcross.org.
Level 3 Advanced
- CERT 1
- CERT 2
- Free Online Course: Introduction to Hazardous Materials for Citizens FEMA IS-55
- Free Online Course: Incident Command System–FEMA IS315
- Volunteer Care – May Monthly Meeting
Select 5 CMFD or CMPD hosted courses (offered based on availability of staff):
- CERT Animal Response I and II
- CERT Emergency Communications Module
- CERT Tools for Leadership Success Module
- Flood Response for CERT
- CERT Firefighter Rehab
- Traffic Safety Management
- CERT Pandemic Response
Orange County Mutual Aid CERT Volunteer Program – CMAP
Requirements: all of Basic CERT Basic, a complete background check including fingerprints, and the following courses:
- Mutual Aid Module – Local jurisdiction coordinator class or mutual aid training class in another city.
- Shelter Operations – American Red Cross (same courses as CERT Level II)
- IS 200b – Incident Command System – Field / Single Resource – Online
- CERT Incident Command System –Independent Study Course # IS315.
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification – must be renewed and current in subsequent years.
*Independent study courses are designed for the adult learner and provide participants the ability to work at their own pace. Library sets of materials are available for check out from CERT Coordinator. There are no enrollment fees or charges. Apply online at http://training.fema.gov/EMIWEB/IS/